Before, During and After the Storm

Rowland - K7RWB <slick56@...>

Before, During and After the Storm

These are just a few ideas to help prepare you for this coming wind storm.  Use them at your discretion.

Before

  • Make sure your vehicles and generators (see more on generators below)  have plenty of gas
  • Stock up on water and food items for at least 72 hours (or longer)
  • Make sure your pets are protected
  • Have working batteries for your radio (good chance power will be out)
  • Check on your neighbors to make sure they are going to be alright.  Especially those with special needs or the elderly

During

  • When the winds come stay inside away from falling branches ans flying debris.

After

  • If you go outside be very careful of trees and downed powerlines.  Some trees could be leaning and still ready to fall.  Down power lines my still be live. Do not approach them or drive over them.
  • Check on your neighbors to make sure they are alright.  Especially those with special needs or the elderly
  • Listen to your radio for updates.
  • Call out of town contacts (if we have phone service) and let them know you are ok

More on Generators

  • Do not run your generator in you house or garage.  Carbon Monoxide kills!
  • Use extension cords to connect your appliances and lights if you do not have a proper transfer switch already installed.  Do not plug your generator into your house through a wall socket.  This could energize the whole local electricl grid and cause extreme danger to you and your neighbors.

Note: If you have FRS radios we will be monitoring channel 2/0.  The is channel 2 with 0 sub channel (tone/PL)