Citizen Corps Updates: new Website, Facebook updates and LOTS of events!

Kathy K7KJB

Hello to all of our terrific volunteers!

It’s been a while since we last emailed everyone.  Most of our posts go onto our Facebook page – it is VERY active and has a lot of great information shared by many of our volunteers.  If you haven’t already I highly suggest you go check it out and ask to be a member – it will keep you up to date on all the latest and greatest things going on in the Carnation-Duvall Citizen Corps, CERT and Medical Reserve Corps at this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/118139002456/.

Have you seen our NEW WEBSITE?  Thanks to Rowland Brasch for the many hours of hard work he put into it to develop a site that is user friendly and has great info.  It also has a much shorter address – you can find it at www.cdccc.us.  Check it out!

Now for the many events we have coming up in the future.  Here are some of the dates covered in this newsletter:

April 16: CERT Refresher

April 16: Traffic and Crowd Management Class

April 18, 25 & May 2: Disaster Mental Health Class

April 28: CERT Quarterly meeting

May 7: First Aid & CPR

May 7: Eastside Fire & Rescue Awards Event

May 7 & 14: HAM Radio Tech Class and License testing

1st Thursday of each month: SnoVARC HAM radio meeting

3rd Wednesday of each month: CDMRC meeting

CERT Refresher:  Remember how to do Triage? Could you perform a Search so you don’t get lost or miss someone? Can you put out a fire and keep yourself safe? Is that building safe to enter? Could you safely lift a heavy object off a victim? Feeling a little rusty on your skills?  Join us for a FREE, fast and effective CERT Refresher Class! Taught by our wonderful CERT Instructor Nancy Carpenter.  In three action-packed fun hours, you get to affix all these things and more into your memory.

When: Saturday, April 16

When: 9 a.m. - noon
Where:
Carnation Fire Station 85
To sign up email your name and phone number to
info@....  You can also call 425-788-8260 register or ask questions.

Traffic and Crowd Management Class:  Do you want to learn how to help our communities during local events or disaster-related incidents? This class teaches you how CERTs and other local volunteers can assist with Traffic and Crowd Management in this FEMA-designed class. You are invited to join us to learn:

- CERT Basic Training concepts that apply to Traffic and Crowd Management.

- How Incident Command System (ICS), size-up, safety & communication apply to traffic and crowd management.

- How to Communicate effectively using hand signals and communication skills to direct traffic and crowds, and communicating with team members or up the chain of command during traffic and crowd events.

- Crowd psychology skills for responding to crowd behavior.

Date: Saturday, April 16

Where: Carnation Fire Station 85 (3600 Tolt Avenue)

When: 12:30 pm – 4:30 pm

To sign up email
info@... with your Name, Phone Number and Group affiliation.  For questions or to sign up verbally call 425-788-8260.  Must be 18 to attend. Registration closes April 12. Class size is limited. Sign up now!

Disaster Mental Health 3-part Seminar:   "Building a Community Mental Health Support Network" is a FREE, Three Part Seminar Series to train attendees about Disaster Related Trauma; its signs and effects, and how they can help those in need get the help they need to begin the recovery and healing process. Attendees will receive printed training materials. Open to the general public - bring your friends!

Dates:  April 18, April 25, and May 2, 2016

When: 7-9 p.m. each session

Where: in the Auditorium at Riverview School District, 15510 1St Ave. NE, Duvall

This seminar series is presented by the Health Support Team, Carnation-Duvall Citizen Corps Council and with the generous support of Dr. Anthony Smith, PhD, Superintendent, Riverview School District.

To register go to this link:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/disaster-response-building-a-community-based-mental-health-network-tickets-24109755929

For questions contact Bob Gilbert at 425-246-9789 or email MHT@....

CERT Quarterly Meeting:  Did you miss the last CERT quarterly meeting?  If so, you missed out learning all about Family Radio Service (FRS) Radios and radio communications by our oh-so-knowledgeable SnoVARC reps Dan Pflugrath and Tom Needham.  We got to practice giving and receiving messages, as well as protocols for doing so.  It was leading up the CERT Communications exercise and Pizza Feed held on March 12th.  As lead by Tom Needham, this exercise allowed CERTs to work with HAM Radio operators, using their new Communications Center located above the Carnation City Hall.  Such a great day and great learning experience by all who participated.  And GREAT Blake’s pizza!

Our next CERT Quarterly meeting will be held:

Date: Thursday, April 28

When: 6:30-8 pm

Where: Carnation Library

Join us as we lead a discussion regarding Earthquake Preparedness.  We look forward to organizing a Table Top Exercise in August and hold our all-out drill in September around this topic.  We encourage you to bring any special “Earthquake Proofing” ideas or supplies you carry in your kit or at home to share with the group.  As always, those in attendance will receive a “goodie” from us to add to your kits.

1st Aid and CPR Class:  Need to update your CPR & First Aid certification? Here's your chance.

Date: Saturday, May 7

Where: Tolt Congregational Church, Carnation

When: 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. with a half-hour break for lunch (brown-bag it – soft drinks supplied – or visit one of the seven restaurants within walking distance).
Cost: Donation of $35.00 per person; 18 years of age or older; 16 if accompanied by parent or guardian also taking class.

Class-size limited to 12; first come, first served; call to register before May 1, 2016; donation holds your seat for you. Send your name, address, telephone number, email and $35.00 donation to:

Carnation-Duvall Citizen Corps Council
P.O. Box 644
Carnation, WA 98014
(Make your check out to “CDCCC” and note “1st Aid Class”).  For questions contact
info@... or call 425-788-8260.

HAM Radio Class and License Testing:  The Snoqualmie Valley Amateur Radio Club will be teaching a Tech License Class for anyone looking to get their HAM Radio License.  The class is a two-part series, being held on May 7 & 14th.  At the end of the class on the 14th students can take their Tech License Test.  Upgrades to a General license testing may also be available.

Dates: Saturday, May 7 & 14

When: 9 am – 5 pm each session

Where: Duvall Fire Station

To sign up or for more information on this class contact snovarc@....

On a side note SnoVARC recently set up a Communications Center in a room above the Carnation City Hall.  We have already used this room in our recent CERT Communications exercise.  Great space and a thank you to the City of Carnation for making this space available!

Eastside Fire & Rescue Awards Event:

On May 7th, Eastside Fire and Rescue will hold their annual Awards presentation.   This year the “show” will be held at Issaquah High School and it is being produced as a real “Awards show”.  In the past it has been held at Pickering barn.  Eastside Fire and Rescue has a new Fire Chief, Jeff Clark, who is joining us from Chandler, AZ.   He has been a Citizen Corps President and as Fire Chief there, was very involved with local CERTs.

CERT Volunteers are needed:

-          Friday, May 6th around 6-7 p.m. to set up

-          Saturday, May 7th from 12:-1: to work as ushers; Awards are from 1-2:30, Reception from 2:30-4, Clean up after 4.

Food will be provided for all volunteers.   If you are interested in volunteering please contact Jan Bromberg at Janbromberg@....

Also keep in mind upcoming events in June & July that will need YOU as a volunteer:

-          Sunday, June 5th: Duvall Days Fun Run

-          Monday, July 4th: Carnation 4th of July Parade

Do you have a CERT shirt?  If you do, be sure to wear it to all events.  If, not order one today by contacting cert@....

Thank you for all that you do to make our communities Stronger, Safer and Better Prepared!

Kathy Brasch

Carnation-Duvall Citizen Corps Vice President

info@...

425-788-8260