From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:10 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: Re: [snovarc] Unflattering comments from Puerto Rico volunteer hams

Thanks for sharing your insights, Rowland.

Let me just put in a plug for the FEMA ICS online courses.  They are very simple.  There are things about ICS that I think are overkill (in particular the focus on terminology - I will never remember all the names of all the positions).  But they outline what is essential to being able to integrate on the fly with other people and other organizations during a crisis and have even a modest prayer of being effective - a structure into which everything fits and which prevents the sort of end-running and wildcatting that generated so much of the confusion on the ground in Puerto Rico.

My recollection is that the courses are FREE.  I don’t believe I spent a whole lot of time taking them.  I learned enough from taking them to make them worthwhile.  I’m not big on telling people what to do but it’s my view that pretty much everyone ought to invest the modest amount of time to go through the two key courses.

On Oct 18, 2017, at 1:51 PM, Rowland <k7rwb@...> wrote:

Hi Robin,

Here is what I sent to the ARRL local staff and others.  It is my personal opinion and I am not speaking on behave of the Red Cross.

“I have taken the time to read the dissertation from the volunteer and feedback from others.  Yes it is passionate and yes he could have chosen better words but there are many valid points made.   I could go on about what my feelings are about what was said but the fact is I was not there so it would be conjecture at best.

What I truly hope for is there are lessons learned from this event.  The old adage that states if we do not learn from our mistakes we are doomed to repeat them is very applicable here.  The ARRL management needs to look at this critique with an open mind and filter down to the pivotal points made that perhaps contributed to the different failures of this ARRL deployment.

As we all know some radio operators carry attitude with them that it should be their way or the highway.  We have all experienced that at one time or another in our clubs and regional events.  This is a dynamic that is hard to control other than knowing who and trying to facilitate a fix or making sure they do not deploy.

Training and certification is a huge issue that needs to be implemented in ARRL/ARES.  It should be offered and required if you are an ARES volunteer. It should be useful training that will prepare people for events like this for those that want to deploy whether it is locally or internationally.  This should also include background checks.

Regarding the Red Cross function here yes we have a communications team here in Seattle and one in Everett also. It is part of the DST Team (Disaster Services Technology). However there not a lot more of these teams in the country.  Where they do not exist ARES is asked to help.  Sometimes with success and sometimes without.

I could go on for a long time about this but the reality goes back to my original statement.  Let's all learn from the mistakes that were witnessed. Let's leave the egos at the door and strive to make a better working machine. Only then can we have real successes when asked for help.”