Re: Unflattering comments from Puerto Rico volunteer hams

Robin WA7CPA

Paul and All,
Good points!
Nancy taught me in CERT class I am the most important person in the room. It is my obligation to take care of my own needs and secure my family before showing up. So in theory, uh, ...Okay, I better consistently keep batteries sorted and have a go bag with duplicate equipment and make it my personal habit to stay well rested and healthy so I can keep going even when food is scarce. I guess we keep needing to remind each other because daily life happens daily.

73, Robin, WA7CPA

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 23, 2017, at 7:46 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

Robin-

Thanks for passing what you’re finding out on to the rest of us.  It sounds like you’re having a very interesting time.

One of the things that strikes me from reading the reddit stuff was the very unrealistic expectations some of the hams had.  I’m having some trouble wrapping my head around things like being on dialysis and seeking deployment, or seeking deployment into utter devastation but expecting that cots will be in abundant supply.

It’s worth considering for our drills.  Everyone arrives at drills well rested, with hot coffee and a warm breakfast after a night in a comfortable bed, with all batteries fully charged the night before and all equipment freshly tested and all problems already sorted out.  In the real world it’s possible that everyone will straggle in hungry, already tired, already bleary, with half charged batteries and gear not entirely sorted.  How might our drills reflect that reality?

On Oct 23, 2017, at 7:25 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Dan and All,
I am definitely an ARRL member and will not let go of membership because I believe Amateur Radio would be done all over the world without its advocacy.

Two days in a row I had lengthy hallway conversations with Bill Friest and John Bigley. Both are involved with Puerto Rico deployments. Friest leads SATERN. Bigley is an elected ARRL official who owns a concrete house on Puerto Rico. He knows every one of the 4,100 hams on Puerto Rico and the smaller islands. He is the one who received the call from the only working cell phone on Calubra (sp) after the hurricane, an SOS. John got the Aid ball rolling responding to that call. On Friday John was unaware of the Reddit complainers. On Saturday, he had talked to other ARRL officials. Their side of the story is the deployed complainer immediately started causing headaches. He started a GoFundMe page as if he was in charge of the rescue. He was a cowboy. (I don’t intend to demean cowboys). My thought is there are valid points on both sides and Rowland is right, as painful as it might be, ARRL should take anything constructive it can learn from the disgruntled volunteers.

Neither ARRL nor SATERN requires the FEMA courses for those deployed. Friest personally interviews his volunteers to screen for any medical issues which are automatic rejection for deployment. People lie. One ham deployed to Florida was dialysis dependent and took time out to get treatment.

Friest believes the grandest challenge is paucity of younger, healthier people going into ham radio. He believes lack of mutual awareness between Salvation Army and SATERN is a huge impediment to deployment. (Interesting that SA is largely unaware of its own communication infrastructure.)

ARRL denies Red Cross is unhappy with ham volunteers, just one or two.

I wonder why ARRL keeps touting a force of 50 when it actually sent only 22. With so many ARES/FEMA trained hams, it seems to me they could have a more refined deployment plan. Indeed those 350 volunteers turned out to be 340. Their numbers keep changing. However, ARRL states its deployed volunteers had many useful skills pressed into service, not just as communicators. They were heroic under an extreme hardship deployment.

Where the Puerto Rico effort stands right now is that all those local hams have kicked in with some equipment help, etc. Government hams are there now, too, according to ARRL.

For sure ARRL got maximum positive publicity and exposure for licensed amateurs providing public service. That is why we pay our dues. They were doing their job.

(By the way, when John Bigley deploys as an emergency communicator, he volunteers with SATERN.)

Looking up the Reddit complainer on QRZ, though he has military background, he has been a ham a short time. One would think a military guy respects chain of command without needing a FEMA course to explain it. I have not followed any more of the man’s story since coming to Pacificon. Perhaps others here have.

Sitting in on the end-of-convention ARRL open forum panel on Sunday, it sounds like passing the Parity Act is the biggest ARRL headache—of course with vociferous dissent from the audience. If anyone is interested in that topic, I wrote about it in the RCR newsletter a few months back. Currently one legislator from Florida is holding it up. I have not followed him and the very latest on that. The President of ARRL could not be more frustrated with politics and politicians—he sounds very angry their thousands of hours and substantial financial expenditures of member dues have not yet resulted in passage of the Parity Act. For myself, I am alarmed the officers on the panel think the language in the bill “effective antenna” is going to be helpful. Effective is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone has tens of thousands of dollars to litigate that each time the homeowner and HOA board OR just one complaining other resident has an opinion about effective antennas being no more than a handheld whip. ( Sorry, I couldn’t help myself there).

This has been typed one finger at a time from my cell phone.

Very 73,

Robin, WA7CPA
Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 22, 2017, at 8:45 PM, Dan Pflugrath <dpflugrath@...> wrote:

Robin,
Thanks for the update.

I have added a hyperlink to the ARRL website where the first article is on the 50 volunteers work in Puerto Rico.  When I read it, it sounds more like what we have come to expect from the amateur radio community.  As is typical with information posted on the internet,  don't over react until the news cycle has a chance to sort out reality.

Please make another post about your meetings at Pacificon.  I am jealous.  I wish I could be attending.

ARRL news letter 2017-10-19  Not sure if you have access to this news letter if you are not an ARRL member.

73,
Dan KA7GPP