Re: Is the repeater down?

Robin WA7CPA

Shawn,
There was another IRLP attempt around 7:30pm, just before you responded to Howard’s call. There was an unfamiliar digital female voice. It was also heard during the QSO party saying the date was December 31. There were several unfamiliar interrupts.

Could the attack be related to the very bad day exercise? Do we know if other repeaters have been attacked or taken down?

Robin, WA7CPA

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 30, 2017, at 11:17 PM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@busymarvin.net> wrote:

Shawns insights:

During and after the KBARA net, there was a concerted, and most likely automated, effort to access the IRLP server with the superuser account. This attack failed. ( Hurray for high entropy passwords!)

The automatic security logs on the server recorded the automatic, temporary, ban of hundreds of I.P. addresses in a very short span of time. This large volume of connection attempts exhausted available resources on the server even as they were rejected, causing the server to crash in a bad state.

Going forward, I want to explore hardware options that allow for both automatically and remotely resetting the server, as well as increasing the security on the server, making it less tolerant of login errors, more restrictive on who can connect, and making it harder to find and connect to it from the wild internet.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 10/30/2017 9:36 PM, Robin Amundson wrote:
Wow, you guys are all amazing. Thanks!
Robin, WA7CPA

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@butzi.net <mailto:w7pfb@butzi.net>> wrote:

Shawn will presumably offer his insights.

Shawn went up to Cougar, I rode along. Jim W7ABD had mentioned to
me that after the KBARA net, the repeater started transmitting
full power but no modulation. That went on for about 20 minutes,
then the repeater went silent.

Shawn and I found no indication of any power supply problems. We
rebooted the Raspberry Pi and power cycled the repeater.
Everything came right up.

My guess is that the Raspberry Pi wedged with the keying line
stuck - the repeater then transmitted until something timed out.
With the key held down continuously by the Raspberry Pi, the
repeater could not reset.

No idea on why the Raspberry Pi got into that state, though.

Should be interesting the next time IRLP disconnects the way it
presumably tried to do this morning.

On Oct 30, 2017, at 8:28 PM, Ken Kosters <kenkosters@gmail.com
<mailto:kenkosters@gmail.com>> wrote:

Just talked with Howard and Shawn fixed the problem. Fantastic
job Shawn.
I forgot to turn radio on heading home from work or might have
noticed.
I would love to know the reason why and how or least educated
guess. Last time this happened it was issue with firmware on
controller years ago.

Ken

On Oct 30, 2017, at 8:15 PM, Ken Kosters <kenkosters@gmail.com
<mailto:kenkosters@gmail.com>> wrote:

I have not heard any jamming problems on UHF and repeater is
working fine as I just tested. I would expect it might have been
timed out?

Ken

On Oct 30, 2017, at 7:29 PM, Robin WA7CPA via Groups.Io
<robininwashington=yahoo.com@groups.io
<mailto:robininwashington=yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:

I realized late in the day my radio is very quiet. I have
changed antennas, tried my new Alinco, ordered another cheap
Baofeng and antenna. Now I hear from Howard, W1HMB, the
Monday QSO party is cancelled because the repeater is down. I
bet someone knows the story. Is it the bad-boy jammer? I
haven't been listening much the last several weeks.