Re: Fox Hunt Next Summer

Mark Kenworthy

Right, if the person doesn’t use the friends and family option, PayPal will take a fee.  I can only find that PayPal says it charges fees for selling goods and services, and does provide a small discount if a non-profit is selling goods and services.  If you have other information (e.g., “the agreement clearly states it as well”), I’d be interested to see that.

Mark

From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lindy KG7IFA via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 7:31 AM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: Re: [snovarc] Fox Hunt Next Summer

I agree with you, but this is the way PayPal seems to work.  We had a donation come via PayPal, and they took out their processing fee.  And the agreement clearly states it as well.  It is too bad....

-----Original Message-----
To: snovarc <snovarc@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Dec 11, 2017 7:04 am

PayPal charges fees for selling.  What does SnoVARC sell?  Dues are not selling goods or services.  Group buys are not selling goods or services.  We are a group of friends in a club.  I think you are paying fees that you should not be paying.  There are many non-profits that sell products (e.g., Newman’s Own), but that’s not what SnoVARC is.

If SnoVARC did something like buy wholesale disaster kits and sell them at a profit, that would be a completely different story, but IMHO, the club should not pay fees where it is not selling goods or services.

Mark

From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lindy KG7IFA via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:40 PM

CDCCC is a non-profit organization (of which SnoVARC is a part) and have signed up for PayPal in that context.  So although our fees are less than a for-profit organization pays, we still pay fees out of any payment coming to us from PayPal.

So someone can pay you through PayPal's friends and family program, but not SnoVARC.

Sent: Sun, Dec 10, 2017 10:44 am

Not if you use friends and family, and I think our social club qualifies as friends (e.g., not a business).

Mark

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 10:13 AM

PayPal charges a fee to SnoVARC (CDCCC).  It is fine for a general non-solicited donation, but not for making payments.  However, bill-payment can be used via your checking account.  You'd need to allow extra days for that payment to be made.  But we are not charged a fee to receive payments that come directly from your checking account.

Lindy  

Sent: Sun, Dec 10, 2017 9:31 am

If the club has challenges making PayPal work Mark, you can pay me and I’ll write a check for the both of us.

Let’s see what others say, but I’ll be your backup plan.

-Mike J

From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Kenworthy
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 8:44 AM

For those of us that are meeting-challenged (e.g., get up at 4AM), can we pay via PayPal?

Thanks,

Mark

From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of Rowland
Sent: Saturday, December 9, 2017 10:52 AM

I am interested.  I am out of town and just saw this.  I agree we should collect monies at January meeting then order the kits that are paid for.  Makes things much smoother.

Thank You,

Rowland Brasch

Rowland Brasch

K7RWB

SnoValley Amateur Radio Club (SnoVARC)

From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dan Pflugrath
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 9:30 PM
Subject: [snovarc] Fox Hunt Next Summer

We have a fox hunt on the calendar for next August but we will need some equipment to turn our hand held radios into direction finders to find the fox (transmitter).  Ken Dempsey KE7ND has a fox transmitter we can use but if we really want to do fox hunting we need to make a small investment in our direction finding to have some fun with it.

I have tested a circuit that can be purchased in a simple to assemble kit that works very well over a wide frequency range (UHF & VHF).  It uses a method called Time Delay of Arrival.  Read the links below for an explanation. 

This link is for those who want to build their own from scratch and also has a good tutorial for how it works.

This link is for a simple to assemble kit for about $35.

My thought is to make a bulk buy for those interested  to get a discount.  I hope that the club can fund the purchase and we each reimburse club.

We can discuss this during our January meeting.

Dan KA7GPP

Join snovarc@snovarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.