From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lindy KG7IFA via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 9:11 AM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: Re: [snovarc] Fox Hunt Next Summer

Yes, we are incorporated with the state.

Taking donations is considered a service to PayPal.  And the dues for SnoVARC is considered a dues donation.  In fact, even if we provide a kit for a CERT member, we request a donation to cover our costs.  Because of the way we do our taxes for the non-profit, we don't 'sell' anything.  We request donations to cover costs so that all funds coming through CDCCC are donations.  Some of these donations are able to be tax deductible because no goods or services are provided that aren't provided to the public at large.  Our dues fall into this category because non-members are able to receive the same benefits as dues paying members.  But if a person receives a kit, the donation is not tax deductible.  But it is still counted as a donation on our books.

I suggest that if PayPal is to be used for this SnoVARC purchase, it should be used to pay an individual as a friend (without fees).  Then that individual can collect the funds for this purchase and make it on behalf of all those interested.  This is isn't something CDCCC (and, therefore, SnoVARC) should do.

Lindy, KG7IFA