Re: Fox Hunt Next Summer

Dan Pflugrath

I received the Handi Finder kit this weekend and I have a concern and could use some recommendations.

The kit comes with everything but the wire for the antennas (2 X 20 inches like two coat hangers), a handle (like1-2 feet of 1/2 inch PVC pipe), coax  and the biggest challenge the connector.

RG-174 coax works best since it is light weight and flexible, an easy choice.

The connector is the most concern.  There are at least three flavors of connectors needed,  SMA-F, SMA-M and BNC.  YAESU FT-60R needs SMA-M,  Boafeng needs SMA-F,  Older radios use BNC, other models and brands most like will use one of the three.  We can easily get RG-174 coax but putting on the connector will be a challenge even for me (need volunteers to put on the connectors?).

For the kit I just received I will order a BNC-M connector and two adapters, one BNC-F to SMA-M and one BNC-F to SMA-F so we can try the Handi-Finder with most any radio.

When we finalize the list of who will want to build the kit we can get prices from Vetco and purchase them as one order for both coax and connectors.

Suggestions welcome.  Jesse W7JEB who has minimal assembly experience has volunteered to build this first kit for me.

Dan KA7GPP