Re: Carnation Shack Noise Problem

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I was actually thinking a good experiment to run would be to bring the club’s Yaesu that’s currently in the shack to my place, hook it to my 7 band ocfd, and see what the noise floor is like.

On Jan 13, 2018, at 1:49 PM, W7ABD <w7abd1@...> wrote:

Paul (W7PFB) and myself (W7ABD) Setup a Buddipole Antenna in the Carnation City Hall Building Parking Lot today to try and isolate the high HF noise sources reported in the area.  We looked at 40, 20 and 10 Meter bands.  We connected the dipole to both the clubs Yaesu HF Radio and my Icom 7100 All Band Radio.  Both running on battery power.
I'
Findings - We could not reproduce the high S9 noise levels we have been seeing with the shacks HF Loop Antenna.  Typically we were seeing a noise floor around S3 on all three bands using the buddipole.

Conclusions -  1. There is something wrong with the  loop antenna, as it is generating much more noise than a standard 1/2 wave loaded dipole (buddipole).   2. The sensitivity of the Yaesu Radio was poor in comparison to my Icom 7100.  It is possible this may be the result of pilot error, as neither Paul or myself are that familiar with Yaesu equipment.  But we don't think so...

Recommendations - Troubleshoot the problems with the Loop Antenna to find out why it is generating so much noise.  Replace the Yaesu HF Radio in the shack with something better.

Jim
W7ABD