Re: New(er) ham community-building meetups (Elmers too!)

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Robin-

As you know, I’ll be in North Carolina being insane.

When I get back, though, I will try to make as many of these as I can possibly manage.  Thanks for taking the lead on this stuff!

On Mar 11, 2018, at 12:00 PM, Robin WA7CPA via Groups.Io <robininwashington@...> wrote:

Dear New(er) hams:
You got your license or you are working on your first ticket. What comes next? Let’s talk about it together in an informal environment at the coffee house. What are you missing? What do you need? What in this wide-open hobby interests you most? I returned to ham radio in January 2017 after letting it lapse as a teenager going off to college in 197X. I am having a blast exploring all the new facets of the hobby.

I would like to learn about your amateur radio challenges, desires, goals, and frustrations. Together, let us bridge this gap between earning your ticket and exploring all that can be done with it. Let's help you build the hobby community you need.

As a connector for the good of the hobby, I am not the technical expert you need, but I will do my best to connect you to an Elmer in the region who will willingly consult with you on your topic of interest in your new (best in the world) hobby. I will do my best to help you build community to enjoy your specialized hobby interests together. Maybe what you need is friendship among other newer hams. Maybe you find club meetings intimidating and impenetrable.  Please don’t give up. It is early and you are just getting started. I can be your cheerleader. (I can help you learn to field program your Baofeng hand-held and start talking on air!)

I give you the first two dates, times, and place I will show up this week to meet whoever else in the hobby, new ham or experienced Elmer, shows up.

Location: Rustic Cabin Coffee, 15715 Main Street, Duvall.

Date 1: Wednesday, March 14, 8:00-10:00 a.m.
Date 2: Thursday, March 15, 8:00-10:00 a.m.

Going forward, I will be seeking other days and times and locations, such as in Carnation, hoping to vary the schedule to make it possible for more new hams with varying work schedules to meet up. Hope to meet you at the coffee house and eventually see you in my station log!

73,
Robin Amundson, WA7CPA