Re: Field Day Safety and other questions

Robin WA7CPA

You could run the laptop off a battery and inverter.  Doesn’t your cool Bienno battery thing have 120VAC output?

-p W7PFB
Paul,
Thanks for hanging with me to talk me through this plan. Are you asking if I plug in the computer wall wart to the solar rechargeable Bioenno in addition to the Bioenno simultaneously delivering power to my rig--will that work?  The BPP-120 USB port delivers a 110V/100W output. The output from the port going to the rig delivers 12V/5A. I have one solar blanket. I wonder two things: 1) will the battery power both things at once (I have never tried). 2) will one solar blanket be enough to deliver a continuous recharge of the battery? I can add solar blankets in a chain but I do not have a second one. Perhaps I should call Bioenno and see if they can ship a second to me for delivery by Friday?

What say you about the possibility of running both? Additional info: because I am also hoping to run FT-8, my Signalink will be in series between the computer and the radio.

Thank you All for your help figuring this out.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 8:17 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
I’d be happy to crimp Anderson Powerpoles onto the end of your 7300 power cable for you.  It only takes a few minutes.  I’ll do better than that, actually, and teach you to do it.

I’ve got approximately 5 trillion connectors on hand, because I standardized on powerpoles for all my gear and so I often need to put connectors on various random power cords.  Ok, maybe 5 trillion is a slight exaggeration.  Maybe it’s just a few dozen.

Have you tried plugging the wall wart into the 120VAC socket on the Bioenno power pack?  The specs say it’s good up to 100 watts, which is likely more than your laptop needs.

On Jun 17, 2018, at 5:04 PM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Thanks for the loan of the battery, Paul. The end of the 7300 power cable has separate red wire and a black wire attached to the back of my desktop power supply. No power poles as supplied out of the box. My power supply does have powerpole socket which I use with my KX3 power connection. Workbench solution someone?

Also, my laptop just does not run off any battery, only the wall wart. My bad when I bought it reburbished for $300 from Newegg. I was naive and inattentive and should have sent it back. Too late now. Getting one that will work on a battery is on my list.

Tnx and 73,
Robin

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

> 2. Need a battery/power supply for my new IC-7300--unless the group considers it okay to use my Powerwerx power supply that will require commercial power. Who has a battery to lend to the FD effort? It needs DC 13.8V/25A (Capacity at least 21 amps).  I am just trying to set up this rig on my shack desk and figure out how to run it. I have not had time to order a field battery. My 2 Bioennos were acquired for my 15 watt rig and are insufficient for the 7300.

I have a Group U1 lead acid battery (capacity 35AH) in a battery box I can loan to the effort.  I’ll make sure it’s charged up.  Voltmeter built in and powerpole connections.