Re: Question re: HT BNC Antenna Adapter

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I pretty regularly stacked various adaptors on my antenna analyzer until I managed to build out a collection from N connectors (what’s on the analyzer) to everything else.  When I finally got a chance I compared SWR through a single adapter to a series of adaptors and couldn’t see any difference.  I’ve no way to measure loss, though.

For what it’s worth 3 band HT antennas are now pretty common.  I’ve got a Comet HT-224 or something like that, for my Kenwood 3 band HT (2m/1.25m/70cm) that I like a lot - better performance, I think, than the stock antenna and more flexible.

On Jul 28, 2018, at 12:49 PM, Ken@... wrote:

I have a question regarding my HT antenna.  I am somewhat annoyed by my HT antenna connection (SMA) since every time I want to connect or disconnect an antenna I need to screw it in.  This is an issue since it is tri-band, and requires an antenna change for 220.  I might also want to switch back and forth between the stock antenna and a higher performance/longer one.

I purchased a SMA/BNC adapter for the HT, and one for each antenna.  However, it occurred to me that these adapters may slightly change the resonance of the antennas or otherwise affect performance.

Practically speaking will  this make any performance difference at all?