Re: Carnation HF Loop Antenna non-functional

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Ok, this is very good to know.  And I am now very much suspecting that the problem is not with the tuner.  But we are not yet to the point where we can definitively say for sure what the problem is.  We have rules out a bunch of stuff but not yet nailed it all down.  But we are making progress again.

On Aug 26, 2018, at 8:27 PM, Dan Pflugrath <dpflugrath@...> wrote:

Jim,
I have been doing some research on loop antennas.  If the loop at Carnation is cut to 1 wavelength on 80 meters the feedpoint impedance is about 100 ohms.  Try connecting the coax directly to the loop, shield to one side and inner wire to the other side of the loop.  The SWR should be just under 2:1 on 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters,  good enough to see if the noise drops down to usable levels.

Still do not understand why that turner does not perform.  It should at least turn up a long wire of most any length.

Dan KA7GPP

From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of W7ABD
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2018 5:33 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: [snovarc] Carnation HF Loop Antenna non-functional

Just wanted to let the club members know that the HF Loop Antenna Tuner has been disconnected pulled off the roof.

There is NO HF Antenna available in the shack until further notice, so don't attempt to hook up your own equipment or use the Club's Yaesu FT-857D radio.

Paul (W7PFB) and myself (W7ABD) are currently troubleshooting the loop noise problem with Frank's (K7RSD) help.

Jim
W7ABD

America's #1 Brain Supplement Now Being Called 'Genius' Pill
The Brain Insider
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/5b836f9f6a916f9e2f9fst04vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad