Re: SSTV from the ISS

I would try a dongle directly into a laptop and good antenna, cheap and easy and do the audio mix in the software. Same as decoding the NOAA weather birds.
Ken

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 2:02 PM Ken Kosters via Groups.Io <kenkosters=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have played with this in the past, SSTV is fairly easy and the ISS is always nice signal. I have heard voice at times but have not managed to work it yet. Far a few times they are on the radio. ISS also has APRS that can be fun. Many FM cube sats are also avalible with decent antenna and proper programmed HT.
Have fun,
Ken W7ECK

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:25 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
http://ariss-sstv.blogspot.com

We will have a bunch of passes where we have a chance of picking it up.

I learned about it with just a few minutes to put something together for a pass, jumped up and assembled my 3 element yagi, and my HT, and managed to *hear* it intermittently as it went over for the pass that started at 12:05pm.  We should have passes at 1:42pm and 3:18pm, then 5 passes tomorrow, 5 passes Sunday (although some of those might fall after the end of the SSTV stuff, I haven’t checked.

Anyway pretty good fun for standing outside in the snow with low expectations and then hearing the ISS.

It occurs to me now that the elevation angle is pretty low - starting at the horizon and rising to 49 degrees above.  So perhaps I’d have better luck with the GP-6 on the roof of my garage.  I may try that next.

Frequency is 145.800.  I suppose I ought to figure out Doppler shift but I didn’t bother for this first pass.  I hope folks with advice will chime in!