Re: Field Day June 21-23,

Ken Kosters

Thanks Dan,
My first cousin worked for CDK before going independent after years as a lead. Good idea as this might be an option?
Otherwise I think the park is a good idea of managed correctly. 

Ken

On Mar 24, 2019, at 6:43 PM, Dan Pflugrath <dpflugrath@...> wrote:

For what it's worth for discussion.

I  attended two field day sites last year.  The first was at Stanwood the Stanwood Camano ARC field day held at the fairgrounds.  The second was the Snohomish County ARC held  at a small park on the water south part of Everett.

The field day in Everett was cramped for space but  very visible.  Well funded with portable towers and a massive antenna switching system but a safety concern with wires everywhere..  All the operations were in one large tent with at least 6 operating stations going at one time including GOTA (confusion ++).  I would not recommend this field day implementation if you want to invite guests.  They by far had the best technology and the largest budget I have ever seen.

I was very impressed with the Stanwood site.  They had five or six tents with one operating station per tent.  They had one small open tent set up just to welcome visitors and guests and steer them towards the GOTA tent or one of the other tents one of which was dedicated to digital.  Another tent was set up for food with an awning and tables.  This implementation was much better for conversation especially with guests and those wanting to learn about ham radio.  The GOTA test was always busy and had separate stations for HF and VHF/UHF.

SNOVARC is growing to the point where I think they could in the future support a more spread out field day .  There must be some large fields along the main roads that could accommodate what I observed at Stanwood.  As an example it could be like the field on the west side of the Duvall bridge on the Woodinville Duvall highway.  I think there is even power there.  Seems to me that is where the Duvall church held Summer Bible School.  I think the guy from CDK Construction may be the owner.  Visible, large open space that improves safety and allows antenna separation, good parking. etc.. 

And one last thing from Stanwood,  Instead of a Genie Lift see if the fire Department will loan their ladder truck to use as a tower for field day!!!  That was one impressive tower.

Best Wishes to all SNOVARC Members,

Dan KA7GPP

From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ken Kosters
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 4:30 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Cc: Ken Koch WA7KK
Subject: Re: [snovarc] Field Day June 21-23

Well now for my two cents worth.

Many changes of use are happening at the farm and although we could get the space once again this year this might not be the normal in the future. We as a club have had the benefit as a small club having a great place for Field Day. Thant being said we are getting recognized region wide with a great repeater and well maintained system.

As we grow we should be more accessible so I agree with moving the site to a more pubic location. This after all is not a CDCCC event but armature radio event unlike Duvall days. Those into radio will make the tip to a site not so obscure from the public and easy access.

Restrictions are a minor issue as we have had gatherings in the past to show antennas and radios and good learning with no issues. Sure if we also would put out the word over the radio many more would show than previous years. As for safety issues this is no different than any other site and should be covered by the ARRL insurance for radio related activity.

Individuals that play radio will come if the message is out and we can and will learn much from each other.

Two cents,

Ken W7ECK  

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 1:02 PM GARY DENSOW <garydensow@...> wrote:

There is an area where I live with flat grass fields, easy access but close to Fall City which may or may not interest you.

Gary Densow

425-281-2287

garydensow@...

From: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io> on behalf of Ken Koch WA7KK <groups@...>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2019 8:02 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: Re: [snovarc] Field Day June 21-23

Last year I had just gotten my Tech and General licenses and I wanted to attend some local Field Day events to get exposure to local clubs.  Both Snovarc and IARC were options.  I did end up going to both events.  However, the Issaquah event was much easier access.  The farm gate is somewhat difficult to find, and it didn't help that the gate code was wrong on the Snovarc web site.  The farm is also somewhat more intimidating (locked gate) and wasn't "inviting" when you had never attended any ham event ever, and had never had any exposure to the club at all.  I would bet that I was probably the only member of the general public without prior exposure who made it to the event.

If all you want is an event for the club members then the farm is fine.  However, my general impression of the Field Day "theme" is that it is supposed to be an outreach to the public.

That said, I know that the IARC group is struggling to find a good spot this year as well so I have no idea where they will end up this year.  It might actually be nice to find a location that multiple clubs could use (say IARC, Snovarc, and Redmond).  Of course I know nothing about inter-club politics, so....

SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Join snovarc@snovarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.