Re: Field Day June 21-23,

Ken Kosters

Thanks Dan,
My first cousin worked for CDK before going independent after years as a lead. Good idea as this might be an option?
Otherwise I think the park is a good idea of managed correctly.

Ken

On Mar 24, 2019, at 6:43 PM, Dan Pflugrath <dpflugrath@...> wrote:

For what it's worth for discussion.

I  attended two field day sites last year.  The first was at Stanwood the Stanwood Camano ARC field day held at the fairgrounds.  The second was the Snohomish County ARC held  at a small park on the water south part of Everett.

The field day in Everett was cramped for space but  very visible.  Well funded with portable towers and a massive antenna switching system but a safety concern with wires everywhere..  All the operations were in one large tent with at least 6 operating stations going at one time including GOTA (confusion ++).  I would not recommend this field day implementation if you want to invite guests.  They by far had the best technology and the largest budget I have ever seen.

I was very impressed with the Stanwood site.  They had five or six tents with one operating station per tent.  They had one small open tent set up just to welcome visitors and guests and steer them towards the GOTA tent or one of the other tents one of which was dedicated to digital.  Another tent was set up for food with an awning and tables.  This implementation was much better for conversation especially with guests and those wanting to learn about ham radio.  The GOTA test was always busy and had separate stations for HF and VHF/UHF.

SNOVARC is growing to the point where I think they could in the future support a more spread out field day .  There must be some large fields along the main roads that could accommodate what I observed at Stanwood.  As an example it could be like the field on the west side of the Duvall bridge on the Woodinville Duvall highway.  I think there is even power there.  Seems to me that is where the Duvall church held Summer Bible School.  I think the guy from CDK Construction may be the owner.  Visible, large open space that improves safety and allows antenna separation, good parking. etc..

And one last thing from Stanwood,  Instead of a Genie Lift see if the fire Department will loan their ladder truck to use as a tower for field day!!!  That was one impressive tower.

Best Wishes to all SNOVARC Members,

Dan KA7GPP