Re: SWR cable or ant problem?

W7ABD

High Ryan,

Welcome to the strange world of RF...  Sometimes (maybe all the time...) it can do weird stuff and give you strange results.  And not always repeatable..

Lou is right.  The higher the frequency, the harder it is to reliably measure SWR.  I almost always use an external SWR Meter for VHF/UHF frequencies, rather than the 7100's internal metering.

Your antenna system includes the coax, the antenna and anything else in-line (or sometimes beside) the feedline between the radio and the final radiating element of the antenna.  So your next setup is to isolate the different parts of the feedline and check them one at a time...  Invest in a simple SWR/Power meter and a small dummy load.  They are not that expensive and will pay for themselves many times over...

Some equipment examples below.

Digital SWR/Power Meter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7QPXEY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dummy Load:
https://www.amazon.com/Mcbazel-Surecom-0014-0155-PL259-1-0GHz/dp/B07MH6Q39N/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=dummy+load&qid=1561765102&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Jim
W7ABD

On 06/28/19 15:08, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:
The 7100 swr meter is flaky at the higher frequencies. Icom quietly put a note regarding that in the advanced manual. For non HF use an external swr meter.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile