Re: SWR cable or ant problem?

Shawn / K7ATA

I currently have the clubs MFJ-259B that does 2-180 meters, but its easy enough to let someone else use it. :-)

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 6/28/2019 5:58 PM, Robin Amundson wrote:
Ryan,
I have a dummy load you can borrow. My Youkit analyzer doesn’t go higher than 10m.
P.s Cheap Chinese connectors that may not actually have internal connection or purchased from high quality source like DX Engineering?
On Jun 28, 2019, at 5:15 PM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <@KJ7GIE> wrote:

I have a problem.
That's because you've not bought enough stuff yet!

OK, I get it. I will invest in a meter and dummy load and go test each bit end to end. Was really hoping I'd be able to spend some time on it this weekend but won't have the tools. I'll still go up there and at least rotate the thing a bit. Maybe it's just interacting with some duct work or something. I'll also re-verify the length of the elements and adjust a bolt or two. Attack it with the "move a little" theory.

On a whim I called Arrow and they answered. Immediately after describing the problem and my install the recommendation was "take it outside, set it on the ground, test with good coax". The gentleman I spoke to was fairly convinced that, as long as the element was installed at the proper length, something up in the attic was interacting strangely with the antenna and putting it on the ground outside was the only way to verify it was not something with the antenna itself.

Lesson learned... before doing the hard work verify and verify again with the proper test tools.