Re: SWR cable or ant problem?

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

The easy thing is for me to swing by your place with my antenna analyzer and dummy load and we can sweep your antenna(s) and cables and see what’s what.

Downside: I am traveling and don’t get back until Monday afternoon.

-p

On Jun 28, 2019, at 5:15 PM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:

I have a problem.
That's because you've not bought enough stuff yet!

OK, I get it. I will invest in a meter and dummy load and go test each bit end to end. Was really hoping I'd be able to spend some time on it this weekend but won't have the tools. I'll still go up there and at least rotate the thing a bit. Maybe it's just interacting with some duct work or something. I'll also re-verify the length of the elements and adjust a bolt or two. Attack it with the "move a little" theory.

On a whim I called Arrow and they answered. Immediately after describing the problem and my install the recommendation was "take it outside, set it on the ground, test with good coax". The gentleman I spoke to was fairly convinced that, as long as the element was installed at the proper length, something up in the attic was interacting strangely with the antenna and putting it on the ground outside was the only way to verify it was not something with the antenna itself.

Lesson learned... before doing the hard work verify and verify again with the proper test tools.