Re: 220 repeater WA7PFB 223.9 - 88.5

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Yep.  We’re about 2.1 miles apart.  There’s a ridge in between us.

If I could get the antenna up 100 feet it would make it a lot easier for folks north of me to hit the repeater.

Anyway I’m working on plans to
a) get the antenna up above my local clutter (perhaps that will happen this weekend or next week)
b) get the antenna up to 100 feet or so.  That will take longer.

I’ve ordered a different antenna, lower gain but easier to attach to a line at the top and then haul it up between two trees.  I figure I can get it up to about 60 feet that way.

Doing modeling with http://www.bedug.com/radio/ I’m seeing a lot of things now that I didn’t see when I was thinking all this through.  The big issue is not arranging for everyone being able to hear the repeater; the repeater puts out 30 watts.  The big issue is arranging things so that you can break squelch on the repeater with a 5w HT from the ground across the coverage area.

Definitely a learning experience, here.  Good fun!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 4:26 PM, AA7Z <AA7Z@...> wrote:

Paul,

I tried a few minutes ago with my Kenwood TH-F6A HT at 5W into a 14” Diamond Tri-Band antenna sitting in my upstairs study. I could hear the station ID, but could not break squelch with my rig. I’m sure elevating my antenna would help as we’re not that far apart.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
Dick
AA7Z

On Nov 22, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:

 Hi all,

I do not have a 220 rig but turned my SDR dongle to it today at work station at Carnation Farms. No problem hearing with just tiny mag mount outside the building.

Ken W7ECK

On Nov 22, 2019, at 1:13 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

For comparison I cannot hit the Bell repeater at it’s current location at Jim’s place with a 5w HT at my place.  It’s actually touch and go hearing it on my GP-6 at about 30 feet and trying to access it with 50W into that GP-6 is also touch and go.

So I am not surprised I have coverage issues to the direct north.

On Nov 22, 2019, at 1:10 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

If you’re using the Btech tri-bander HT it’s specced at 4w 1.25m and 70cm.

But yeah, it looks like I can’t hear too well to the north.  There’s a pretty big rise between you and me but I also noticed poor coverage in the valley up near NE 124th and the prop simulation doesn’t match that.

I suspect I want the antenna up quite a bit higher.  Plans for that in the works…

Thanks for the feedback!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 11:57 AM, W7ABD <w7abd1@...> wrote:

I tired using my Buddipole in 1/4 wave vertical configuration with my 5 Watt HT.  But could not hit the repeater.

Have no problems reaching the W7WRG repeater on 224.580 located up on Haystack with just the HT's antenna.

Looks like your repeater is deaf to the north Paul..

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 21:42, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:
Just tried it at 21:42 PST

I couldn't hit it from with my HT in my yard (QTH is a mile or so off of Big Rock and Odell)  If I had an antenna with gain I may have, but this is the stock TH-D74 rubber duck so no joy. :-(

-Lou

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.