Re: 220 repeater WA7PFB 223.9 - 88.5

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Yep.  We’re about 2.1 miles apart.  There’s a ridge in between us.

If I could get the antenna up 100 feet it would make it a lot easier for folks north of me to hit the repeater.

Anyway I’m working on plans to 
a) get the antenna up above my local clutter (perhaps that will happen this weekend or next week)
b) get the antenna up to 100 feet or so.  That will take longer.  

I’ve ordered a different antenna, lower gain but easier to attach to a line at the top and then haul it up between two trees.  I figure I can get it up to about 60 feet that way.

Doing modeling with http://www.bedug.com/radio/ I’m seeing a lot of things now that I didn’t see when I was thinking all this through.  The big issue is not arranging for everyone being able to hear the repeater; the repeater puts out 30 watts.  The big issue is arranging things so that you can break squelch on the repeater with a 5w HT from the ground across the coverage area.

Definitely a learning experience, here.  Good fun!

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 4:26 PM, AA7Z <AA7Z@...> wrote:

Paul,

I tried a few minutes ago with my Kenwood TH-F6A HT at 5W into a 14” Diamond Tri-Band antenna sitting in my upstairs study. I could hear the station ID, but could not break squelch with my rig. I’m sure elevating my antenna would help as we’re not that far apart. 

Good luck. 

Sincerely,
Dick
AA7Z

On Nov 22, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I do not have a 220 rig but turned my SDR dongle to it today at work station at Carnation Farms. No problem hearing with just tiny mag mount outside the building. 

Ken W7ECK 

On Nov 22, 2019, at 1:13 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

For comparison I cannot hit the Bell repeater at it’s current location at Jim’s place with a 5w HT at my place.  It’s actually touch and go hearing it on my GP-6 at about 30 feet and trying to access it with 50W into that GP-6 is also touch and go.

So I am not surprised I have coverage issues to the direct north.

-p W7PFB

On Nov 22, 2019, at 1:10 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

If you’re using the Btech tri-bander HT it’s specced at 4w 1.25m and 70cm.

But yeah, it looks like I can’t hear too well to the north.  There’s a pretty big rise between you and me but I also noticed poor coverage in the valley up near NE 124th and the prop simulation doesn’t match that.

I suspect I want the antenna up quite a bit higher.  Plans for that in the works…

Thanks for the feedback!

-p W7PFB

On Nov 22, 2019, at 11:57 AM, W7ABD <w7abd1@...> wrote:

I tired using my Buddipole in 1/4 wave vertical configuration with my 5 Watt HT.  But could not hit the repeater.

Have no problems reaching the W7WRG repeater on 224.580 located up on Haystack with just the HT's antenna.

Looks like your repeater is deaf to the north Paul..

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 21:42, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:
Just tried it at 21:42 PST

I couldn't hit it from with my HT in my yard (QTH is a mile or so off of Big Rock and Odell)  If I had an antenna with gain I may have, but this is the stock TH-D74 rubber duck so no joy. :-(

-Lou

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 9:10 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Paul,

Similar to Lou and Jim I only have a 5 watt HT with a Tri-band Nagoya NA-320 triband antenna. Unfortunately, with my setup I cant trigger the repeater from my QTH up near the high school.  

So great that you’re setting this up!

Howard

WA1HEM

Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: [snovarc] 220 repeater WA7PFB 223.9 - 88.5

Like Lou, I only have a 220 HT, so limited to 5 watts and a "dummy load antenna".

I did hear the repeater ID itself while in Downtown Duvall this afternoon, but was unable to hit the repeater from there or from my home QTH east of town.

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

-------- Original Message --------
On Nov 21, 2019, 9:46 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM < wa1hem@...> wrote:

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.
>
>
> -p W7PFB
> 73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!
>
>
>
>
--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Join snovarc@snovarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.