Re: Radio recommendations

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

On Dec 8, 2019, at 12:53 PM, Dale Smith <dale_smith@...> wrote:

All,

I am trying to sort out what type of rig to buy next year. I expect to use 10/20/40/80M bands. I am looking for a solid rig without a lot of fancy bells and whistles I can use at home or in the field.

Recommendations please. :)
what modes are you expecting to use? digital modes like FT8, psk31, Olivia? CW? SSB voice? Do you want FM on 10m?

What sort of antenna arrangements are you planning on using? The key issue here is whether you care about a built-in antenna tuner or not.

And when you speak of use in the field, is that picnic table in the park sort of field, or Summits on the Air field?

I see others have recommended the Elecraft KX3. I own one, and although I bought it to use in the field it’s so darn nice I use it as my main radio at home. I love mine.

I have also played briefly with an Icom 7300 and that’s a very fine radio as well, and surprisingly compact.