From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io [mailto:snovarc@snovarc.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robin Amundson
Sent: Monday, December 9, 2019 10:06 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: Re: [snovarc] Do I really needan 8ft ground rod?

My first antenna on my KX3 was a wire tossed out the upstairs window with another wire along the baseboard. My KX3 puts out 15 watts barefoot. Now my station is in the basement, up to 500 watts out of the PA. Hillside vertical with starburst ground wires and a balun. All the work is done outside EXCEPT pounding in a ground rod outside the shack. I doubt 8 feet is possible in my location. It has been tried...I power down the entire shack, unplug, and disconnect the coax at the PA when the weather looks dicey. I am aware of a tower running 1.5K without all "necessary" ground rods. There are some horror lightning stories, houses burning down. Has that happened here?

So, with no ground rod are you prepared with a storm mitigation plan and willing to take your chances? If I lived in Florida, my answer would be different than living here. I will get a round tuit, perhaps this coming summer.  Ward Silver, N0AX, wrote THE book on the subject, available through ARRL.  He also had an "incident". Not sure any grounding measures are foolproof. It is all hypothetical because the power of lightning is pretty much beyond comprehension and unpredictable.

So, I say, don't put up more barriers to getting on the air than are necessary...

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 6:04 PM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I'm about to toss up a random wire antenna. I'm wondering if I really need a full 8ft grounding rod or can I get a decent ground with something shorter. What say you Elmers?

73

Drink 1 Cup Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy
mayserve-magestor.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/5def444a9851f44497d2cst02duc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad