Re: G5RV Replacement

Gerard Repko

I’m gonna have to get my butt on the radio to see if my Buckmaster is still working

Gerard

KG7REV

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 2:04 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] G5RV Replacement

The Buckmaster OCF dipole is 135 ft long but requires a messenger cable for support.  It allows hanging with some "slack" to allow for wind and removing a lot of stress from the wire. It covers 80/75, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10 and 6.

Cheers 

Ralph 

KC7QXD 

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 12:30 PM Ken Koch WA7KK <groups@...> wrote:

I've had a G5RV up for less than 18 months.  In the winds last night the wires basically pulled apart at the one end where the wire and rope meet.  I think that there was a loop there, but I don't recall.  I had it mounted with good pulleys on both ends that were moving freely so there shouldn't have been too much strain on it.  Basically the wire unraveled.

Now I need to decide if I want to replace it with a G5RV (and hope that it lasts longer), or go with something else.  The space between the trees was just about perfect for the G5RV so I want to stat within the same general ballpark in terms of length.   Since putting the wire back up the tree is a pain, This is not something I want to do every year or so.

Any suggestions?

Join snovarc@snovarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.