Re: looking for an antenna/antenna simulation elmer

Dan Pflugrath

Paul,
I have been patiently waiting (decades) for a solution for an optimized (wide bandwidth) 80 meter antenna. I hope there is an Elmer out there than can help us.

Historically what hams have used for this problem is a dipole cut for 3.5 MHz fed with ladder line rather than coax using a balanced tuner like the ancient Johnson Matchbox (newer versions are now available). Even with very high Standing Wave Ratios the ladder line has almost zero loss and the match box can provide a perfect match to our transceivers. This is a very efficient antenna system for 80 through 10 meters.

Good Luck. I am curious to see how close we can come to an optimized solution.

Dan KA7GPP

-----Original Message-----
From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io [mailto:snovarc@snovarc.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
Sent: Saturday, February 29, 2020 4:21 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: [SnoVARC] looking for an antenna/antenna simulation elmer

I am trying to come up with an optimized design for an 80m NVIS antenna. So far this has boiled down to hatching ideas, building an NEC model using 4nec2, and then optimizing and evaluating the design.

(side note: the entire issue of building an antenna that has enough bandwidth to cover the entire 80m band is a rathole I did not expect to fall into. Fan dipoles. Butterfly dipoles. Cage dipoles. Holy smoke, who knew there were all these dipole variants?)

I’m bumping up against the limits understanding of antenna theory, and bumping into my very limited understanding of NEC modeling really hard.

So I’m looking for an elmer to help me out. If you can help, or you can help me connect with someone who can help, I’d sure appreciate it.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Join snovarc@snovarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.