Re: 80m OCFD NVIS

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

On Apr 3, 2020, at 11:25 AM, Rowland <@Rowland> wrote:

Right now my OCFD is about 30-40' (don't know for sure). And the ends are only about 3' off the ground.

Two questions...

1. Will adding a reflector on the ground improve my NVIS?**
Without modeling it it’s hard to know for sure but I’m guessing yes, it will improve NVIS performance on 80m and probably on 40m. But I’ll model it and we’ll see.

2. Will raising the end wires to the 15' are improve things?
Improve things for NVIS or DX? 80m is the only band of interest, or 80m - 6m?

Again I haven’t modeled it (I will, though) but I’m guessing raising the ends improves the radiation pattern. But it will probably also change SWR.

** I will not be able to have the reflector wire exactly under the OCFD due to physical ground issues but it will be close
I think as long as the reflector is the right length and more or less under the antenna it would not make much difference.