Re: TRE: [SnoVARC] Rowlands reflector question

Paul Zoba

Wow, that Ellington video was really impressive. That guy knows his stuff and I learned a lot watching this. It’s long but was worthwhile. He reviews many antennas and speaks from experience. My antenna is a horizontal delta loop 80m long and 40’ high. Steve had some good things to say about it’s performance. Thinking about the EFHW for a 160m... 🤔   Thanks for pointing it out Dan.

On Apr 6, 2020, at 5:28 PM, Dan Pflugrath <dpflugrath@...> wrote:

Here is the build instructions for a resonant EFHW.  For my home QTH antenna with my 100 watt FT-450D I use two cores which ups the efficiency of the transformer.  I used 14 gage wire to wind the transformer.  Otherwise it is the same as in the picture.  Here is the youtube video EFHW by Steve Ellington  that explains how the antenna works and how it is deployed.  Let me know, I can do an Elmer session on this antenna.

Dan KA7GPP

<image002.jpg>

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io [mailto:snovarc@snovarc.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rowland
Sent: Monday, April 6, 2020 12:29 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Rowlands reflector question

Where would I get the build directions?

Thanks,

Rowland

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 8:53 AM Dan Pflugrath <dpflugrath@...> wrote:

The easiest way to get on the air is using what many SOTA operators use.  A resonant end fed half wave antenna using a 49:1 transformer.  You can buy on line or easily make your own.  With 131 feet of wire you can work 80 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters without a turner and add 60, 30, 18 and 24 meters with an internal tuner.  You only need one pole or tree and can also have a ground at the transformer for safety.  It cannot cover the full 80 meter band but can easily be adjusted to cover either SSB or CW without affecting the upper bands.  Depending on how you run the antenna wire it will work the same as or better than your common dipole.  It does not need to be run in a straight line.  Depending on the transformer core size you can run the full legal limit for power. 

I just made one for our cabin on lake Wenatchee but you are welcome to give it a try.  It is made to handle up to 500 watts.  I have wire and the transformer, you just need coax.

Just yesterday on a low elevation SOTA summit I worked coast to coast and VA to CA and MI to TX with 5 watts and 599 reports using my EFHW antenna.  Fun day away from virus carriers.

Dan KA7GPP

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io [mailto:snovarc@snovarc.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
Sent: Monday, April 6, 2020 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Rowlands reflector question

I’d be inclined to put up a 135’ long OCFD if you have the space.  I like the Buckmaster one because it’s pretty bomb-proof but it’s not magically better than all the other variants performance wise.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Apr 6, 2020, at 7:52 AM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

As mentioned there are several options.  The easiest would be an end fed zep. Not the best option but will work.  I have used one on several occasions in the field and had good success. Get one end up in the tree and use it as a sloper.  Next would be an OCFD get the middle in the tree and the two ends spead out and connected so they are ~10' off of the ground.  Paul may have other thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Rowland

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 9:58 PM Jackson Beard <macleanofduart@...> wrote:

Probably 30 feet high max.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020, 21:58 Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

What bands do you want to cover?  And how high can you easily get an antenna (trees, etc)?

-p W7PFB

On Apr 5, 2020, at 9:48 PM, Jackson Beard <macleanofduart@...> wrote:

Focus is on ease, not price.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020, 21:28 Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

How much do you want to spend? There are G5RVs, Off center fed dipoles, end feed zeps, certified and so on

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 7:43 PM Jackson Beard <macleanofduart@...> wrote:

100 x 270 about .70 acre

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020, 19:33 Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

How much room do you have (acre)?

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 6:07 PM Jackson Beard <macleanofduart@...> wrote:

Nope.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020, 17:59 Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

Do you have any neighborhood restrictions

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 5:10 PM Jackson Beard <macleanofduart@...> wrote:

Since everyone is offering antenna advice, I have a perfect condition kenwood hf radio I should use this time to get working. 

What's the easiest antenna to get put u pl in short order?

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020, 17:06 Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Paul,  This is clearly a  newbie question…but  I’m curious, what happens if the inverted V is an actual V? Where the  ends at 30 Ft and center is at 6ft?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, April 4, 2020 10:51 AM
Subject: [SnoVARC] Rowlands reflector question

Rowland asked if adding a reflector below his 80m OCFD would improve NVIS performance on 80m.

Error! Filename not specified.

A bit more than a 2dBi improvement at 90 degrees.  That’s with the reflector length optimized for gain.  The modeled reflector height was .1m AGL.

The downside is that it messes up SWR somewhat.  I didn’t snap a comparison though, there are just too many installation variables to make the results meaningful.

-p W7PFB

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

--

Thanks,
Rowland

--

Thanks,
Rowland

--

Thanks,
Rowland

Join snovarc@snovarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.