Re: Brimar or Mullard 12AU7 Tubes

Gerard Repko

I’ll give him another call. I guess within his circle that’s what he gets them for. He said he’s got a bunch of good used ones. Said they put them in everything back in the day, said they are a very common type. When you find the AX or AY he said those are harder to come by. Anyhow I’ll give him a call. But like I said he’s in jersey so he has to ship them to me. I’ll let you know.
KG7REV
Gerard

On Apr 12, 2020, at 7:45 PM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <@KJ7GIE> wrote:

The price of tubes has gone up significantly over the past couple years as "audiophiles" and "vintage audio" enthusiasts are preferring them over solid-state gear. If you've got a pile of tubes on hand it may be time to sell them and retire (ok, not really). Spending over $100 a tube for a matched set of New Old Stock (NOS) is not unheard of. A buddy of mine recently realized he's got a set of preamp NOS tubes, slightly used, made in Holland that go for over $200 now. It's kind of crazy. But, <sigh>, even I took the plunge this year. I bought some audio amps that have a tube based input stage. I've rolled some 6BZ7/ECC88 tubes and can hear a difference so I've swallowed the kool-aid and am enjoying the hobby. I have only bought 1 tube though and that was from Tube Depot. Easy and fast shipping no issues I recommend. A friend of mine lives near this shop and says its run by people who know what they are doing with a large selection https://www.vivatubes.com Good luck.