Re: Mobile rig antennas - advice and tips welcomed

Tom WA7TBP

Mike:

Take a look at Comet Antenna mount, part number CMA-TYANTPE. It uses existing screws in your truck to mount an antenna. I have 4 of them on two of my Ford trucks. I like the mount, especially not having to drill a hole. You will have to find a way to route the cable to the inside of your vehicle, but I am sure there are enough of us at SNOVARC that we can give you a hand.

73 and good luck.

Tom, WA7TBP

In a message dated 5/4/2020 09:03:21 Pacific Standard Time, golferguy02@... writes:

Well, I'm finally getting ready to put a mobile rig into my truck.
I am pretty sure I've settled on a Kenwood TM-V71A.

I'd love to get your opinions and any pics you want to share about antenna mounting, models and performance you wish to share.

Some details about my rig:
Toyota truck
I use a canopy for several months a year so mounting on the inside edge of the bed rail is not going to work.
I know that a roof mount is probably best for performance, but I'm hesitant to put on there as I'll likely break it off going into the parking garages near work as they have short clearances. (and I'll surely forget to lower it every time).
This is making me think a hood mount is the next best option.  It doesn't necessarily provide the best ground plane.  Does anyone have a hood mounted antenna and do you get "good enough" performance?

I'm thinking something along the lines of these, but would love feedback or opinions:

Antenna models:

Potential mounting location:  (not my truck) 🙂

Thanks for sharing your opinions and any tips or mistakes to avoid.

-Mike J
W7GR