Re: Tarheel questions

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Edited

I agree that this is a great conversation.

I was thinking about the Tarheel II but given that this unit needs to be mounted on the body causes a kerfuffle for my aluminum-bodied Jeep. Am I right to think that I would need to go to a trailer-Hitch mount and use one of the larger Tarheel antennas to use with the Jeep?

Also, can these be used "in the field" without the vehicle as a ground plane? What would need to be done to create a decent ground plane, let say in my backyard or up in the hills somewhere?

Thanks - I definitely see my wallet getting thinner as this conversation progresses :-)

Howard