Re: Tarheel questions

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Howard, the antenna mounts on a 3/8-24 thread.  So any place on the Jeep where you could mount such a threaded stud, you could mount (and ground) the antenna.  Heck, you could put a stud on a plate held by suction cups and stick the suction cups to the jeep, and then just run a grounding wire to some place on the Jeep frame.  But you probably wouldn’t want the Jeep in motion with such a setup.

CB antennas commonly mount on 3/8-24 studs, so any CB antenna mount would seem to be a solution.  Looking on Amazon I see a variety of mounts for Jeeps - some that go under the spare tire mount, some seem to attach to things which I guess Jeeps have and about which I know nothing.

Out of curiosity, how do you mount the VHF/UHF antenna on the Jeep currently?  You could always pop the VHF/UHF antenna off that NMO mount and screw an NMO to 3/8 adapter, and away you go.

On Jun 5, 2020, at 12:43 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I agree that this is a great conversation.

I was thinking about the Tarheel II but given that this unit needs to be mounted on the body causes an kerfuffle for my aluminum-bodied Jeep. Am I right to think that I would need to go to a trailer-Hitch mount and use one of the larger Tarheel antennas to use with the Jeep?

Also, can these be used "in the field" without the vehicle as a ground plane? What would need to be done to create a decent ground plane, let say in my backyard or up in the hills somewhere?

Thanks - I definitely see my wallet getting thinner as this conversation progresses :-)

Howard