From: Robin Amundson
Date: Sat, Jul 4, 2020 3:17 PM
Subject:[SnoVARC] Real life Em Comm

Just got my DMR digital/analog radio on the air. Set it to scan the analog stations, lol. Immediately picked up a backpacking injured ham giving his information to another ham who had been on the QSO from the beginning. I do not know the location because I hadn't started in time, but the other ham has it and is going to continue monitoring. Injured ham will attempt to get down mountain on his own but asked for Search and Rescue to be called by a certain time and date if he doesn't get out. This weekend is a good time to keep scanning 146.52. A lot of hams are on mountains. This guy had no cell service but beautiful analog RF. Injured ham will attempt to call on 146.52 at standard intervals if there is service while he moves.

So...there is no substitute for analog RF. Fortunately the Hytera repeater has analog and digital. It will be much more reliable. With digital we can get all our techs on the air talking around the world quicker and cheaper than HF. We can create our own programmed rules for use to keep our analog frequency clear and available at all times to preserve and protect our analog service.

Happy Independence Day my ham friends!