Re: Wire length question

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Apparently everyone else in SnoVARC either stays up later than I do or gets up earlier.

I vote with Dan - measure to the hole in the insulator.  Any place where the wire is wrapped around itself, the effect is that doubled over portion does not contribute to the effective length.  On the scale of any HF antenna the loop going thru the insulator is the same as a wire just reaching the eye of the insulator.

And I also vote with everyone who says it doesn’t matter.  You won’t know the velocity factor of the wire to better than, say, 2%, and that source of uncertainty alone means you’re going to end up tweaking the length using your handy antenna analyzer.

On Jul 11, 2020, at 10:04 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I realize this might be a silly question and the significance to the overall wire length minimal but the question is burning a hole in my head: Do you count the part of the wire that is tied around the ceramic insulator when measuring wire length ?  I say “yes”

<08C416AD-97C7-4404-877F-0AA41B5874B1.jpeg>

<D5C8C367-259F-433D-B4F4-0733E6DA2DD5.jpeg>