Re: VARA and Winlink

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Really nice synopsis Paul.

I purchased Vara HF earlier before realizing that there was a discount on 10 purchases - darn -

As far as paying for software - I have two opinions on that.  I totally appreciate the open-source community where a package is made available for free (with or without donation requests) and maintained by "volunteer" programmers. Updates and bug fixes all maintained by the community. Much good comes from freely sharing and modifying code in that way. Its like evolution - small changes by many folks create new products and improved capabilities sometimes with different branches of code going in different directions. I will continue to support open-source in all its forms. With that said, I also totally appreciate the effort and costs that go into creating "closed" software too. It's not a free effort to create or maintain and it doesn't bother me by someone trying to profit from their work. Minimally it costs time and intellectual effort. After all - we live in a (generally) free enterprise, a market-driven society that works pretty well (yes, there are flaws, but it's still a really good system) - you buy if you find value, you don't if you don't. For those that have created something unique or significantly better, if the software solves a problem that I can't solve myself or can't find an equivalent solution for, I'm willing to pay for the effort. Vara HF is one of those pieces of software, in my opinion. There is a free version of Vara HF to use that maintains the spirit of the community - so I am ok with the 2 options.

73,

Howard