Re: Tolt Dam False Alarm

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Knowing what the gauges in various locations would generally read is helpful.

The depth listed for “Tolt River Road” is 90 feet.  Generally the Tolt River Gauge, which is near the end of Tolt River Road, reads in the range 4-5 feet this time of year.  So regardless of whether the 90 foot number is relative to zero on the gauge, or relative to the ground, it makes essentially no difference.  90 feet of water is, for all practical purposes, essentially the same as 85 feet unless you happen to be 87 feet up the hill above.

This time of year, the Snoqualmie River gauge north of Carnation is generally reading about 45 feet, so that also seems like a clue, since the depth listed in East Carnation is 20 feet and the depth in Carnation proper is 4 feet.  Neither of those numbers make sense relative to the Carnation gauge.

The Duvall gauge generally is around 20 feet at this time of year.  A depth of 4 feet makes no sense if it’s relative to zero on that gauge.

So I would guess the numbers listed as “Depth of Water” are depths above ground.  But also I expect it will not be water that arrives in Carnation at a depth of 4 feet, it will be water, trees, boulders and rocks, and all the houses, cars, etc. in the Swiftwater development.  And it’s going to be going 10 miles an hour.  I

On Jul 30, 2020, at 6:21 AM, Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:

The numbers need reference to actually be useful. Perhaps some reasearch is needed.

Ken

On Jul 29, 2020, at 8:19 PM, Kathy K7KJB <kb1@...> wrote:

I’m not sure Ken.  They were provided by Seattle Public Utilities’ Engineers.

Kathy