Battery Chemistry Discussion

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Howdy... On last Thursday's net there was discussion on batteries and what people do to maintain them so that everything has a healthy charge in case of needing to leave the grid. We ran out of time but I wanted to ask if we had a resident "battery chemistry" expert?

I know lithium ion is probably the worst chemistry for this kind of situation because it doesn't like to be stored at max capacity and the life of the battery is directly determined by how many times you fully charge it. Knowing that, I looked and found every single one of my HTs using Li-ion. So, some references would helpful as well as alternative chemistries, their pros / cons, for both HTs and portable rigs. Thanks!