Re: Battery Chemistry Discussion

Dan Pflugrath

This information source may be of help to you.  My experience is with portable radios.  Every radio I own now use lithiums except for the cheapo FRS radios.

https://mpoweruk.com/performance.htm     Make sure you check out some of the references noted within the article.

Lithium batteries might be what you are looking for.  They have a very low self discharge rate on the order of 2% per month and have no memory.  The depth of discharge is the variable for determining the number of life cycles.  https://mpoweruk.com/life.htm#dod

Some lithium battery packs like used in the KX2 have built in circuitry that control the charging and discharge limiting temperature during charging and maximum discharge voltage.  This makes sure you do not accidentally damage the battery and shorten usable life.

Raw lithium batteries used for RC application must somehow be monitored remotely during use to prevent over discharge and special chargers are used to monitor individual cells to make sure the cells are properly charged.

Dan KA7GPP