Re: Battery Chemistry Discussion

Mark Kenworthy

Spell check got me there.  LFP batteries are also known as LiFe and (more correctly) LiFePo (Lithium Iron Phosphate).

Mark

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Kenworthy via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 7:06 AM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Battery Chemistry Discussion

For radios, the LFP (Life, Lithium Iron Phosphate) have the best characteristics.  Most of the RC hobby batteries are LiPo (Lithium Polymer).  LiPo batteries do not like to be stored charged and lose charge and capacity fairly quickly if they are stored charged.  LiPo batteries are also quite volatile, can catch on fire if they are charged wrong, discharged wrong, or damaged.

LFP batteries are completely happy to store in the charged state, have extremely low internal resistance so the charge lasts a very long time, and are almost impossible to catch on fire.  The reason the LFP batteries aren’t very popular in the RC hobby is that they have slightly lower energy density and quite a bit lower peak current capability.

Mark