Re: Winlink and VARA FM

Ralph Lease

Ralph here. I just connected with Paul via VARA FM on pier to pier at frequency 145.640. I'm having trouble with my sound card working on 2m but not at 70cm. I don't have a clue as to why it is not sending any audio at 70cm.  At this point 2m is ok by me as this test seemed to work.

Paul:  I sent 2 emails so hopefully they arrived as the software attested to.

73,
Ralph

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:34 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Sheesh.  Should read ‘9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not compatible’.

Clearly I need to drink more coffee.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:24 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not incompatible.

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

Packet and VARA are entirely separate.  So the VARA configuration does not affect the packet configuration at all and vice versa.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:21 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Are we sure that a system set up for 9600 will accept narrow band? I note that many of the Seattle frequencies separate the two. I wonder if that’s because 9600 is not downward compatible with 1200

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:

Not connecting at all on packet, not sure if it can even hear me.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/10/2020 1:22 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) wrote:
 know several folks are trying to get VARA FM working with Winlink.  One of the problems everyone has is that there’s only one RMS station even close, and none of us can reach it.

So I’m happy to report that I now have a temporary fix, which is that my UHF Winlink RMS has been resurrected and is running VARA FM.

W7PFB-10, 440.850, running VARA FM Wide and at least in theory also running 1200 baud packet.

If you try to use it, please let me know how it went, regardless of outcome.  Getting this working definitely involved creating a few new head-sized dents in the walls of my shack, so I’m not entirely convinced it’s all set up correctly.  Feedback is appreciated!

.

Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104