Re: Winlink and VARA FM

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I suspect the problem Howard is having now is that the RMS station is on an antenna that is lower than the one I heard his signals on today.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 7:29 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I got the shift worked out too but still can’t connect- I’m thinking it’s the Yaesu setup. More head banging for me

On Aug 10, 2020, at 7:26 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

I can’t claim credit.  Howard was having problems and pointed out that his radio was automatically applying a shift.  Which got me thinking, maybe that was Ralph’s problem.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 6:24 PM, Ralph Lease <ralph.lease@...> wrote:

ok, I'll fess up.  Paul solved my problem of not transmitting on the 70cm band.  My radio had the positive shift "+" enabled.  Therefore I was not transmitting on 440.850. It was really transmitting on 445.850 and listening on 440.850.  I have saved the frequency and the settings to a memory channel for future use so I don't screw it up.

There are days I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but I try to be persistent.  Days like today make the lessons stick.

Thank you Paul for sticking with me to solve this problem.

73 all,
Ralph

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:40 PM Ralph Lease via groups.io <ralph.lease=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ralph here. I just connected with Paul via VARA FM on pier to pier at frequency 145.640. I'm having trouble with my sound card working on 2m but not at 70cm. I don't have a clue as to why it is not sending any audio at 70cm.  At this point 2m is ok by me as this test seemed to work.

Paul:  I sent 2 emails so hopefully they arrived as the software attested to.

73,
Ralph

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:34 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Sheesh.  Should read ‘9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not compatible’.

Clearly I need to drink more coffee.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:24 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not incompatible.

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

Packet and VARA are entirely separate.  So the VARA configuration does not affect the packet configuration at all and vice versa.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:21 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Are we sure that a system set up for 9600 will accept narrow band? I note that many of the Seattle frequencies separate the two. I wonder if that’s because 9600 is not downward compatible with 1200

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:

Not connecting at all on packet, not sure if it can even hear me.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/10/2020 1:22 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) wrote:
 know several folks are trying to get VARA FM working with Winlink.  One of the problems everyone has is that there’s only one RMS station even close, and none of us can reach it.

So I’m happy to report that I now have a temporary fix, which is that my UHF Winlink RMS has been resurrected and is running VARA FM.

W7PFB-10, 440.850, running VARA FM Wide and at least in theory also running 1200 baud packet.

If you try to use it, please let me know how it went, regardless of outcome.  Getting this working definitely involved creating a few new head-sized dents in the walls of my shack, so I’m not entirely convinced it’s all set up correctly.  Feedback is appreciated!

.

Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104