Re: What's in the way? (a tool to show you)

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Hugely interesting and useful tool! Thanks!

On Aug 24, 2020, at 9:40 AM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <@KJ7GIE> wrote:

I've seen an uptick in people using Google Earth to determine what's between them and the repeater or between two houses when doing simplex. Google Earth is a great tool for that but it can be a bit fiddly for that kind of work.

The tool I like to use is: https://link.ui.com
This is a tool published by Ubiquity (UBNT) and it's target audience is Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs). Because of that, it won't give you any propagation details beyond UBNT's own antennas (and subsequently the frequencies those antennas are tuned at which is 900mhz, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, etc.). But, what it does excel at is it lets you raise / lower the antenna at each location to determine what you need to do in order to get true LoS. For example, to get true LoS to Cougar I'd need a 300+ foot tower at my house. Until then I am skipping off Tolt Hill. It will also show towers that UBNT has a relationships with and are available to lease to WISPs; which is kind of interesting.

Anywhoo.. thought I'd pass it along if you've not seen it.