Re: Go bags

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I’ve had decent luck with Duracells bought at retail locally, but horrid luck with Duracells bought off Amazon.  Amazon pools stock, and batteries are apparently a commonly counterfeited item, so the pool of stock on Amazon is basically mostly counterfeit.  I no longer buy any batteries of any type off Amazon Same thing with any other items likely to be counterfeited. The only exception battery wise are the Amaon Basics ones, which I expect are not pooled stock and are sourced by Amazon.

Despite good luck with batteries purchased local retail  I now do as Jim and Ralph do and never store alkaline batteries in devices, and instead use plastic battery cases to hold the batteries.

On Sep 5, 2020, at 6:18 PM, W7ABD <w7abd1@...> wrote:

I have found the quality of Alkaline Batteries, Like everything else on the market these days has deteriorated.  Used to be the leading batteries Like Duracell and Energizer would never leak inside your devices.  Only the "cheap" batteries would do that. But not anymore - they leak just like the "cheap" ones.  <sad>

I now store all my batteries, like Ralph these days in ziplock bags outside of my devices.

Jim
W7ABD

On 9/5/20 17:40, Ralph Lease wrote:
Went to use a flashlight today and it needed new batteries.  With winter coming decided to check all flashlights including in my go bag. Had to dispose of my mini Maglite flashlight due to a battery exploding in the light. Not worth trying to get the cell out.

Note to self: as go bag lights/devices seldom get used, store batteries in the go bag in a zip lock bag and not in the flashlights. If a battery goes bad and leaks it will not ruin the light/device.

Ralph
KC7QXD