flashlights

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Part of my everyday carry is an 18650 flashlight. (an Olight H2R https://olightworld.com/olight-h2r).  It’s actually a headlamp but I just carry the light, not the headband.  It uses an 18650 cell.

If I’m dressed, this thing is with me, just like my knife and a Fisher Space Pen.  Always.  This flashlight is the latest in a long series of flashlights that I’ve carried all the time.  I’ve carried a flashlight all day every day since 1995 or thereabouts.

It’s a very rare day I don’t use it, probably more than once.  Trying to find out what the dog is trying to get out from under the couch?  use the light.  Look for a loose connection?  Use the light.  Walking the dogs at night and hear something in the forest?  Use the light.  Worried you have a flat tire in a parking lot at night?  Use the light.  Heck, walk from the store to your car thru a dark parking lot, use the light.  Our lives are full of under-illuminated situations.  Modern LED flashlights are so bright, so compact, and so lightweight that carrying a flashlight everywhere you go is not a big deal.  And they are *so very useful*.  Until you carry one as a matter of habit, you don’t realize how often you will use it.

So.  I think I paid $85 for this thing.  The battery is rechargeable and will probably last 5 years.  In five years I’ll probably replace it with a newer, better light.  So, for $1.40/month or less than a nickel a day I have a reliable flashlight, always close to fully charged, right at hand.

If you are unconvinced, get one of these: https://www.olightstore.com/i1r-2-kit-double.html and carry it in your pocket all the time.  It’s .6” in diameter and 1.75” long and weighs about half an ounce.  That’s roughly the size and weight of a stick of lip balm.  You could put it on your keychain if you carry your keys all the time.  See how often you use it.  You can thank me later.

On Sep 6, 2020, at 7:59 AM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

Those  are expensive.

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 3:27 AM Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:
I'm slowly converting everything I own, that uses batteries, to 18650

cells; LED flashlights are relatively cheap, and charging an 18650 is

logistically no different than charging a cell phone. (still needs a

cable/adapter)

I literally have dozens of spare cells, and getting more is usually not

a problem.

--Shawn

--K7ATA