Re: W7PFB-10 Winlink RMS changes

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

This is the same speed differential that I got. Your overhead idea is interesting. I'll try experimenting with a much larger file and post the speed results here.

P.S. ...Yes - my first test email was the Gettysburg Address 😊

-----Original Message-----
From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2020 2:35 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] W7PFB-10 Winlink RMS changes

Correction: wide mode 7 seconds narrow mode 15 seconds. Sheesh. Must. Get. More. Coffee.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Sep 13, 2020, at 2:33 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

Ok, so this is very interesting. I got the email which I think you sent as a test. Gettysburg Address?

I just did a little experiment, sending from one laptop thru a DRA-36 and a Kenwood TM-D710G, sending an email that contains a 10k byte word english word list. (winlink compresses email, I wanted some representative text and this was a handy way to get it about 10kilobytes of text.

Sending with VARA set to wide mode, it transferred the email in 7 seconds. In VARA wide mode, it transferred an identical email in 15 seconds. Call it a factor of two difference in speed.

The problem here is that the overhead is large relative to the time needed to transfer the email. Improving the transport speed does not do much to cut overall time unless the overhead is small relative to the data transfer time.

Anyway it would be interesting if you could repeat the experiment with a longer text and see what you get.

There’s a lot to learn about VARA and how the wide/narrow thing works.

And probably also about the 9700 built in sound card.

-p W7PFB

On Sep 12, 2020, at 5:33 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Ok I just tested both FM Narrow and Wide using just my IC9700 (no external sound card)

The NARROW setting was twice as fast and the WIDE. See attached images. So my guess is that Im not really sending wide even though VARA FM is set to WIDE... maybe some type of stepping down when connected causing a slower transmission. Im not sure... regardless... even in NARROW mode, the speed was awesomely fast (Compared to Vara on HF)

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 4:57 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io; 'Lynn Burlingame' <n7cfo@...>
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] W7PFB-10 Winlink RMS changes

Cool. Sounds like you were busy. I will give this a try later.

Question - is there a way to disable the Narrow VARA FM to "temporarily" test FM WIDE only?

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 4:23 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io; Lynn Burlingame <n7cfo@...>
Subject: [SnoVARC] W7PFB-10 Winlink RMS changes

If you’re not using my Winlink RMS stations W7PFB-10, you can ignore this email.

If you’re using W7PFB-10 to connect to Winlink, but are not interested in the details, all you need to know is that I’ve made a bunch of changes, so if you run into trouble or have other feedback, please let me know.

If you’re interested in the nitty gritty, read on:

The station used to be:
Kenwood TM-D710G dualband radio
Windows Laptop running the RMS software configured to use the TNC built in to the Kenwood radio to do 1200 baud packet VARA FM software using a Masters Communications DRA-50 sound card connected to the data port on the Kenwood to do VARA FM WIDE.

The station is now:
Alinco DR-135T 2m radio
The same Windows laptop using the RMS software Masters Communications DRA-50 soundcard connected to the data port of the DR-135T Soundmodem software using the DRA-50 to do 1200 baud packet VARA FM software using the DRA-50 to do VARA FM WIDE

Please send any questions or comments you might have!

-p W7PFB

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

<Vara FM Narrow.PNG><Vara FM Wide.PNG>

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Join snovarc@snovarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.