From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2020 2:35 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] W7PFB-10 Winlink RMS changes

Correction: wide mode 7 seconds narrow mode 15 seconds. Sheesh. Must. Get. More. Coffee.

On Sep 13, 2020, at 2:33 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

Ok, so this is very interesting. I got the email which I think you sent as a test. Gettysburg Address?

I just did a little experiment, sending from one laptop thru a DRA-36 and a Kenwood TM-D710G, sending an email that contains a 10k byte word english word list. (winlink compresses email, I wanted some representative text and this was a handy way to get it about 10kilobytes of text.

Sending with VARA set to wide mode, it transferred the email in 7 seconds. In VARA wide mode, it transferred an identical email in 15 seconds. Call it a factor of two difference in speed.

The problem here is that the overhead is large relative to the time needed to transfer the email. Improving the transport speed does not do much to cut overall time unless the overhead is small relative to the data transfer time.

Anyway it would be interesting if you could repeat the experiment with a longer text and see what you get.

There’s a lot to learn about VARA and how the wide/narrow thing works.

And probably also about the 9700 built in sound card.

On Sep 12, 2020, at 5:33 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Ok I just tested both FM Narrow and Wide using just my IC9700 (no external sound card)

The NARROW setting was twice as fast and the WIDE. See attached images. So my guess is that Im not really sending wide even though VARA FM is set to WIDE... maybe some type of stepping down when connected causing a slower transmission. Im not sure... regardless... even in NARROW mode, the speed was awesomely fast (Compared to Vara on HF)