From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shawn / K7ATA
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 3:40 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] W7PFB-10 Winlink RMS changes

so I did some research on this, and the data port on the ic9700 is connected pre-discriminator, as is the internal soundcard interface.
Unfortunately, nobody has documented a modification to change that.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 9/13/2020 3:53 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) wrote:
Yes.

On Sep 13, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Paul Zoba <pezoba@...
<mailto:pezoba@...>> wrote:

Paul, are you referring to the internal sound card in the 9700?

On Sep 13, 2020, at 3:45 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...
<mailto:w7pfb@...>> wrote:

 Yeah, there’s something going wrong with the wide mode. I suspect
that it gets huge error rates in wide mode, which cuts the thruput
way back.

Doing some research it seems the bandwidth of the internal soundcard
is limited to 2.5khz, not enough for wide mode. So I expect that’s
what is going on.

Even worse, apparently the 6 pin mini-din connector does not give you
the access points in the audio chain that you need to do wide mode
either. So you can’t even use an external sound card to do it.
(although I think some experimenting is in order to verify that).

On Sep 13, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
<wa1hem@... <mailto:wa1hem@...>> wrote:

Just attempted 2 tests using 2 separate larger file types:

1) Image attached to an email
2) Large Text Email

The first email with the image file attached was rejected in both
Narrow and Wide mode. Maybe it was too big to send or the RMS
station has a maximum file size that I exceeded The second email
test was with a multipage text-based email.

Results are even more dramatic versus the first tests that you and I
ran. Narrow was *over FIVE times* as fast as Wide:

NARROW:
*** Completed send of message KUZD9IEXAAX3
*** Sent 1 message. *Bytes: 8357, Time: 00:19, bytes/minute:
2628*6
FQ
*** Disconnected from Winlink RMS: W7PFB-10 @ 2020/09/13 22:26:03
*** Session: *0.6 min*; Avg Throughput: 14998 Bytes/min; 1 Min
Peak Throughput: 14998 Bytes/min

WIDE MODE:
*** Completed send of message PIIWPT10E4ES
*** Sent 1 message. *Bytes: 8343, Time: 01:30, bytes/minute: 5503*
FQ
*** Disconnected from Winlink RMS: W7PFB-10 @ 2020/09/13 22:31:45
*** Session: *1.7 min*; Avg Throughput: 4814 Bytes/min; 1 Min Peak
Throughput: 4814 Bytes/min