Re: Normal or whacky band conditions?

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

My observation is that as a general thing I have been seeing wonky conditions on 20m for the past few days.  I’ll sitting there listening to what looks and sounds like a dead band, then all of a sudden, I’ll be looking at stations in New Zealand, or Belgium.  That will persist for a few minutes, then poof, gone.  Same thing to the east coast of north america - I’ll be chatting along in a FB QSO with a ham in Baltimore, fine strong signals, then suddenly he’s just… gone.

But in general propagation has been better lately and I’m seeing a lot more PSK31 on 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m.  So I imagine hams over in Asia might well be getting more active as well.

On Nov 12, 2020, at 8:48 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Is it just unusual band conditions or normal that there are a bunch of foreign (sounds like Chinese?) AM stations all over the 14meter band in the morning. Any explanations? Is that normal?  Does anybody have an explanation?