Re: Icom OPC-1529R pinout

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I am one of thoseold guys who suffered through the prevalence of RS-232C and I can tell you that the frequency of problems being related to a need for a null modem in between devices is very high.

It may be that your cable is wired correctly but needs tx and rx swapped. Or that one device or the other is expecting/insisting on one of the RTS/CTS/DCR/DTR signals and not seeing it.

Or baud rate mismatch. Or just some confusion about bits per character, parity presence/odd/evenness.

It’s times like this I wish I had a fancy schmancy oscope that did serial data decode, so that I could lend it to you to get you unstuck.

I do have a dual trace oscope that does not do serial decode, and I would be happy to loan it to you so he can at least examine the signals at the 2.5mm plug end and see what’s on what part of the connector.

On Nov 20, 2020, at 8:46 AM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@reign.net> wrote:

Does someone have an Icom OPC-1529R cable that they would kindly verify the pinout for me? Or can I borrow it for the weekend?

This is the RS-232C (DB9 <-> 2.5mm phono) cable used on the DATA1 jack of the IC-7100 (and others) radio. On the IC-7100 this is the port for feeding GPS NMEA sentences. I bought a generic cable and the radio does not indicate its seeing the sentences. Next step in my troubleshooting is to identify that my generic cable is pinned properly. My Google searching indicates my cable _should_ be good but I cannot find any official pinout material from Icom so I hope someone can confirm from the "real deal" cable.

Much appreciated, happy Friday, and 73's