Re: Winlink checkin form

Bob (KI7RMO)

Thanks, Paul, - quite interesting, but a few comments/questions.
There is a lot of information on the standard check-in form. How much do you actually use?
From what I understand, a one-liner is usually sufficient for Winlink check-in with call sign, name, location, county, state and band (VHF/UHF).
With ICST, we simply have the one liner and a few comments such as date, local time, universal time, equipment, etc.
I set up a text file that is pretty straight forward and very easy to edit, especially, in Winlink. Would this be sufficient for SnoVARC or is the additional information in the general form useful? If you are keeping a database, I can see where the standard one would be the way to go.
I can use whichever one you wish, just curious.
Thanks and 73,
Bob, KI7RMO

-----Original Message-----
From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Kosters
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 5:56 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Winlink checkin form

Good Afternoon,

I found this on my setup under General, Simple quick forms, win link quick check just in case others have old system. This is now added to my message tool bar if I can remember to use it.

W7ECK Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io [mailto:snovarc@snovarc.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Butzi (W7PFB) via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 7:41 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: [SnoVARC] Winlink checkin form

For those of you who want to take your Winlink checkin skills to the next level…

There’s a template/form that can be used to do a net checkin. Using it to do your weekly net winlink checking gives you a chance to build your familiarity with Winlink forms usage.

To use the form, open a new message. In the window for the new message, there’s a menu item ‘select template’. Click on that and you get a window titled “Template Manager”.

To find the Winlink net checkin template, click on the plus next to “Standard Templates”. The tree will expand. Click on the plus next to ‘GENERAL Forms’, and that part of the tree will expand. Down at the bottom of the GENERAL Forms section you’ll see “Winlink Check In.txt”

If you double click on “Winlink Check In.txt” it will pop up a web browser window with the template in it. You can then fill in the blanks in the form. It’s pretty self explanatory.

When you’ve got it all filled in, you click on the button at the bottom “Submit”. A popup will appear telling you to click on the “ok” button, and then close the browser window/tab.

You should now be looking at the message compose window with all the stuff from the form filled into the message. At that point you can send just as you would if you’d typed all the content into the compose window yourself, by clicking on the “post to outbox” menu item, etc.

To get really advanced you can save four different templates on the menu bar of the compose window, so you don’t have to plow through all the tree expanding just to find the template you use all the time. In the main Winlink window, pick menu “Message/Set Favorite Templates”, which gives you the more or less self explanatory dialog to set those four favorite templates. Once you’ve set a favorite it will appear as a menu item in the compose window.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Join snovarc@snovarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.