Re: Battery backup at Costco. Worth it?

Bruce Gary

I'll preface this by saying "I don't know anything, and I can usually prove it"....

I looked at a variety of battery backup options a couple of months back.  Looked hard at the APC UPS (uninterruptible power supply) devices, which come in a variety of va ratings.  

At the end of the day, what I decided was that if I wanted to run a radio off D/C, it didn't make sense to have an A/C backup system.  

What I ended up getting was one of these:

It's a battery box with automated charging and switch-over, with a rig-runner power distribution panel added in.

So... now my power-supply feeds this thing, which charges the battery when needed and feeds a constant 13.8V to the radio.  If house-power fails, it automatically switches over to feed power from the battery to the radio.  And when house power comes back on, it recharges the battery.  

All up, it cost me a little less than the Costco thing - I think the box from West Mountain cost $270, and a deep-cycle group-24 80-ah AGM (sealed) battery from the local marine hardware store cost about $180.  there's even a voltmeter/ammeter on the front so I can keep track of power draw and battery state.

As a bonus, I now have a complete ready-to-throw-in-the-truck portable power setup, if/when I want to operate mobile (like POTA or something)

$.02
Bruce / K7BGG

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SnoVARC] Battery backup at Costco. Worth it?
Date: Tue, June 08, 2021 1:20 pm
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io

I saw this at Costco. Any comments I’d this is worth it? 

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM

Join snovarc@snovarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.