Re: New Ht

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

The Baofeng radios have their place in the world of amateur radio.  For me, that place is as an inexpensive radio to go in get home bags, bugout bags, etc.

As a first radio for a new ham, I think they’re not that great.  The user interface is horrid and that’s a source of confusion and frustration for new hams, who are often already struggling with repeater offsets, CTCSS tones, etc. On top of the UI issues my experience is the Baofeng radios are not really stellar performers on receive and many of them are very dirty transmitters  I can live with those shortcomings in a radio that spends its life in a bag being a cheap backup radio but that’s not what I’d suggest for a new ham.

I’ll cast my vote in the Yaesu FT-60 column.

On Jul 31, 2021, at 1:13 PM, Paul Zoba <pezoba@...> wrote:

So much depends on what you want to do with it. I like Yaesu HTs and find them pretty rugged. The VX6 is submersible and good for hiking, etc. I also have the FT3DR which has Bluetooth, APRS, GPS and digital modes.

Honestly, I’d say get the Baofeng and dip your toes in the water until you have a better idea what you want to do. Later, you stick the Baofengs in your glove compartments.

73,
Paul, W7PEZ

On Jul 31, 2021, at 12:20 PM, Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:

I agree with Jackson. FT-60 is a very good bang for the buck.
W7ECK

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 12:13 PM Jackson Beard <macleanofduart@...> wrote:
FT60s are around $150

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021, 11:39 Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:
Have a friend that wants to purchase an HT. He is new to ham so he wants simple but dependable operation. Willing to spend above cost of boafeng. Used is OK to s long as current. What do you all think.