Re: VARA and Winlink

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Yes, the busy detection is sensitive to audio level settings, so get that straightened out.

You want whatever sound card you’re using for the radio selected for both input and output.  The Realtek speaker is almost surely the built in speakers in your computer, so don’t pick that.    You can figure out which device is the sound card for the radio by watching the list of audio devices change when you plug in the cable to the sound card for the radio.

I’m guessing you’re using the sound card built in to your K3?

On Feb 6, 2022, at 9:18 AM, Robin WA7CPA <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Paul, I got a tip to check the VARA VU meter levels. Apparently when Windows audio settings are too high a false busy channel when no signals are heard on the frequency is often the problem.  I looked at the VU meter while initiating START and there was no reading. So...my sound card settings are CODEC for input and Realtek speaker for output. In other digital modes the output setting would also be CODEC. What is wrong with this picture? (I only have 40-10m here in Port Townsend).

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 8:59 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) via groups.io <w7pfb=butzi.net@groups.io> wrote:
If you’re getting a constant indication that every channel you try is busy but you don’t actually hear any signal on that frequency, there’s some setup problem.

If you’re actually hearing signals on the frequency you’ve picked, the trick is to be patient.  I don’t think I’ve ever had to wait for more than a few minute for a non-busy channel.  On rare occasions the HF channel I picked has been in use for a very long email, but moving on to a different channel choice got me a clear channel.

Which RMS stations are you looking to connect to?  on 80m I’ve found N7LOB to generally be not busy and a reliable connection.  Very little power should be needed; I once connected to N7LOB and successfully sent an email but it took quite a bit longer than usual.  It turned out I had the power on my IC-7300 dialed down to 0%, so I’m guessing I was successful even though I was running less than 1 watt.

On Feb 6, 2022, at 12:40 AM, Robin WA7CPA <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Duh, write the message the same way, then try to find a free channel. Still no free channels.

Robin