Re: Farraday cage time for equipment?

Rowland

Read an article several years ago about using a non working microwave as it is completely shielded so microwaves cannot leak out during use. So the RF cage will shield equipment inside from bad things on the outside.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 1:20 PM Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via groups.io <louis.giliberto=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here's the nerd answer:  https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/230728/would-a-faraday-cage-protect-something-from-an-emp

Having used them for telcoms stuff, you really do need to make sure they are "completely sealed".  Any kind of wire running out from them (e.g., power) will cause signal and such to leak in.

They also make "faraday bags" which are what they sound like - a bag you put an object into and it provides some measure of protection.  We used that and a metal garbage can with a ground strap when we wanted to test loss of signal stuff for telecoms.  Cell phone signals are designed to be very aggressive so that our phones work.  If the EMP burst is purposeful, it, too, will be aggressive. There are also "faraday tents" but they often leak like a sieve.

Step one is the EMP burst on the equipment.  Step two will be the EMP burst effects on your power source (e.g., the grid, generators, batteries) and anything along the antenna path that is susceptible (e.g., rotor, loop amplifier, etc.).

+1 for tube amps which are more resistant to the effects.  Sometimes the old ways are the best ways. I should build a spark gap transmitter ;-)

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.